This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.
 

Practice Survey Reporting

RESULTS OF FRIENDS AND FAMILY SURVEY

January - December 2018

Review of comments made by patients on Friends and Family test

The Department of Health requires all GP practices to ask Patients a simple question – how likely are you to recommend this practice to your friends and family? We looked at the answers we received for the period from January 2018 to mid-December 2018.  All the comments came through either the self-check in, website, or hand written forms at the practice subsequently entered in to the collation website. 

Patients were invited to comment on the likelihood of their recommending the practice to their friends and family when they checked in for appointments in the self-check in screen.  Cards were also available for patients to complete manually, and the same question was accessible via the practice website.  There were 312 patient responses. 

There are a high proportion of positive responses.  139 [53%] patients said it was extremely likely that they would recommend the practice to their family and 66 [25%] said it was likely.  Therefore a total of 78% of patients are happy with the service they receive from the practice.  The following are some of the comments made.

  • Extremely happy with the service offered
  • Despite all the bad press, the doctor took the time to explain and reassure on a non-urgent matter
  • The staff are consistently professional, friendly and very helpful under difficult circumstances. I am immensely grateful for the help of all the various doctors, nurses and receptionists I have had over the years.  A heartfelt thank you for doing a great job!
  • Nurse practitioner is excellent
  • On time and efficient, polite and respectful
  • Three or four years ago I would have responded as unlikely or extremely unlikely as the surgery felt downbeat, miserable and uncommunicative. Nowadays there is a bright cheerful approach as you walk in the door, and it’s like a breath of fresh air… you feel better as soon as you walk in the door….Thank you.
  • Always kind. Can always get an appointment, much better system, no complaints.
  • I always receive professional and helpful meetings. I understand the difficulties the NHS are in.

There were 14 [5%] patients unlikely to recommend the practice, and 31 [12%] extremely unlikely. This gives a total of 21% unlikely to recommend the practice. The majority of the reasons given for this were difficulties around making an appointment.

  • Can’t get through on the phone, just an automated message saying it will be answered shortly.
  • Waiting time a bit over the booking
  • Rude staff and doctors
  • Booking appointments or seeing a doctor when you’re actually ill is IMPOSSIBLE
  • Poor reception service, doctors seem to have no care
  • The receptionist hung up on me.
  • I had to wait over an hour from my appointment time in a waiting room with people coughing and spreading their germs infecting me and most likely others.
  • We cannot get appointments to see a doctor. We ring, the lines are engaged, by the time we get through the appointments are gone.

We have replaced the phone system this year with one which allows queuing.  We have limited the amount of people in the queue to 5, as liaison with our colleagues in other practices showed patients became frustrated and had to wait a long time if more than 5 people were ahead of them in the queue.  Following patient feedback, we have change message on ansaphone

There were 60 23[%] patients who were neither unlikely nor likely to recommend the practice to their friends and family.

There were some helpful suggestions made were as follows

  • Surely a better system would be to phone the surgery and be placed in a queue
  • I booked an on-line GP appointment for my daughter the other day and during the actual appointment, the GP said we could have seen a nurse for the matter in hand. It would be good to have that information on the surgery website.

WE have now changed the telephone system.  Information on the most appropriate person to book appointments with is on the website under "appointments".

THANK YOU TO ALL PATIENTS WHO TOOK THE TIME TO COMMENT.

May 2015 to December 2015

Review of comments made by patients on Friends and Family test

The Department of Health requires all GP practices to ask Patients a simple question – how likely are you to recommend this practice to your friends and family? We looked at the answers we received for the period from April 2015 to November 2015. All the comments came through either the self-check in, website, or hand written forms at the practice subsequently entered in to the collation website.

Patients were invited to comment on the likelihood of their recommending the practice to their friends and family when they checked in for appointments in the self-check in screen. Cards were also available for patients to complete manually, and the same question was accessible via the practice website. There were 194 patient responses.

There are a high proportion of positive responses. 97 [50%] patients said it was extremely likely that they would recommend the practice to their family and 42 [27%] said it was likely. Therefore a total of 77% of patients are happy with the service they receive from the practice. The following are some of the comments made.

  • Very kind doctor and got appointment quickly
  • It was sorted quickly
  • Excellent care and attention given to my husband due to his recent stroke. We are extremely grateful.
  • You are under a lot of pressure from NHS but still show compassion
  • Everyone at Phoenix Medical Centre is friendly and professional, my wife and I are always treated with respect and given the attention that we require. This applies to receptionists, nurses, doctors and admin staff
  • New system of booking after 10am is a brilliant idea and makes it fair for every patient who can't get up and come down early mornings to secure appointments. Great idea!
  • I am asthmatic and have found the Phoenix surgery offer excellent care especially when an emergency arises in my condition. I have always been dealt with in a thoroughly professional manner by the receptionists and doctors and have received top class treatment with one GP sitting with me until I could breathe again.
  • Very helpful doctors and nurses. Comfortable, up to date premises. Most appointments in reasonable time, though doctors very busy
  • We have always received an extremely professional and caring service from the team (clerical and medical) at the Phoenix.
  • Because, if I need to see a doctor for my baby urgently, so far I have always been given an appointment the same day.

There were 17 [9%] patients unlikely to recommend the practice, and 22 [11%] extremely unlikely. This gives a total of 20% unlikely to recommend the practice. The majority of the reasons given for this were difficulties around making an appointment.

  • Always difficult to make an appointment
  • It is not fair that patients who have time to queue from 7.30 get all the appointments
  • Phoning in the morning from 8.00 am for appointment. Trying for at least 30-40 minutes. When connected ALL of the appointments have gone. No advance booking of appointments allowed
  • Phones always engaged, when I do get through only appointments are with a locum.
  • If one phones for an appointment, you can spend an extremely long time trying to get through, or one can visit before the surgery is open and stand in a queue - no shelter from weather at all.

There were 16 [8%] patients who were neither unlikely nor likely to recommend the practice to their friends and family.

There were some helpful suggestions made were as follows

  • Surely a better system would be to phone the surgery and be placed in a queue
  • I booked an on-line GP appointment for my daughter the other day and during the actual appointment, the GP said we could have seen a nurse for the matter in hand. It would be good to have that information on the surgery website.
  • I would suggest a cold water drinking system

Since this survey started, we have initiated a system where patients are not able to make appointments face to face until after 10 am, but can telephone from 8 am. This has prevented people queuing outside the practice before we open. It also means that everyone has the same chance of booking an appointment for the same day if required.

The contract for the current switchboard has another 2 years to run. We will be replacing it with a system where queuing is permitted and callers know where they are in the queue.

Unfortunately do not have the funding available to provide a cold water drinking system, but perhaps this something the Patient Reference Group may consider.

We are currently undertaking a comprehensive review of the appointments system and will shortly be introducing changes in order to improve it.

THANK YOU TO ALL PATIENTS WHO TOOK THE TIME TO COMMENT.



 
Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website