RESULTS OF FRIENDS AND FAMILY SURVEY
May 2015 to December 2015
Review of comments made by patients on Friends and Family test
The Department of Health requires all GP practices to ask Patients a simple question – how likely are you to recommend this practice to your friends and family? We looked at the answers we received for the period from April 2015 to November 2015. All the comments came through either the self-check in, website, or hand written forms at the practice subsequently entered in to the collation website.
Patients were invited to comment on the likelihood of their recommending the practice to their friends and family when they checked in for appointments in the self-check in screen. Cards were also available for patients to complete manually, and the same question was accessible via the practice website. There were 194 patient responses.
There are a high proportion of positive responses. 97 [50%] patients said it was extremely likely that they would recommend the practice to their family and 42 [27%] said it was likely. Therefore a total of 77% of patients are happy with the service they receive from the practice. The following are some of the comments made.
- Very kind doctor and got appointment quickly
- It was sorted quickly
- Excellent care and attention given to my husband due to his recent stroke. We are extremely grateful.
- You are under a lot of pressure from NHS but still show compassion
- Everyone at Phoenix Medical Centre is friendly and professional, my wife and I are always treated with respect and given the attention that we require. This applies to receptionists, nurses, doctors and admin staff
- New system of booking after 10am is a brilliant idea and makes it fair for every patient who can't get up and come down early mornings to secure appointments. Great idea!
- I am asthmatic and have found the Phoenix surgery offer excellent care especially when an emergency arises in my condition. I have always been dealt with in a thoroughly professional manner by the receptionists and doctors and have received top class treatment with one GP sitting with me until I could breathe again.
- Very helpful doctors and nurses. Comfortable, up to date premises. Most appointments in reasonable time, though doctors very busy
- We have always received an extremely professional and caring service from the team (clerical and medical) at the Phoenix.
- Because, if I need to see a doctor for my baby urgently, so far I have always been given an appointment the same day.
There were 17 [9%] patients unlikely to recommend the practice, and 22 [11%] extremely unlikely. This gives a total of 20% unlikely to recommend the practice. The majority of the reasons given for this were difficulties around making an appointment.
- Always difficult to make an appointment
- It is not fair that patients who have time to queue from 7.30 get all the appointments
- Phoning in the morning from 8.00 am for appointment. Trying for at least 30-40 minutes. When connected ALL of the appointments have gone. No advance booking of appointments allowed
- Phones always engaged, when I do get through only appointments are with a locum.
- If one phones for an appointment, you can spend an extremely long time trying to get through, or one can visit before the surgery is open and stand in a queue - no shelter from weather at all.
There were 16 [8%] patients who were neither unlikely nor likely to recommend the practice to their friends and family.
There were some helpful suggestions made were as follows
- Surely a better system would be to phone the surgery and be placed in a queue
- I booked an on-line GP appointment for my daughter the other day and during the actual appointment, the GP said we could have seen a nurse for the matter in hand. It would be good to have that information on the surgery website.
- I would suggest a cold water drinking system
Since this survey started, we have initiated a system where patients are not able to make appointments face to face until after 10 am, but can telephone from 8 am. This has prevented people queuing outside the practice before we open. It also means that everyone has the same chance of booking an appointment for the same day if required.
The contract for the current switchboard has another 2 years to run. We will be replacing it with a system where queuing is permitted and callers know where they are in the queue.
Unfortunately do not have the funding available to provide a cold water drinking system, but perhaps this something the Patient Reference Group may consider.
We are currently undertaking a comprehensive review of the appointments system and will shortly be introducing changes in order to improve it.
THANK YOU TO ALL PATIENTS WHO TOOK THE TIME TO COMMENT.